Narrative of these pictures to follow either tonight or tomorrow :) But I want to post the pictures while I've got legitimately fast internet! (For once, it's amazing!) These are in chronological order.
Last Thursday in Ketchikan, I did a tour and we went to an eagle rehabilitation center. This was one of their two females.
They can't fly so the picture opportunities were understandably awesome. Unfortunately, so far, my wildlife spottings outside of marine life have been few and far between :( But then again, I'm usually on a giagantic ship sooo...
After we visited the salmon hatchery (boring pictures) and the eagles, we went out to Totem Bight State Park and saw a whole bunch of totem poles. Not that many here but I'll probably post more at a later date.
The traditional clanhouse at Totem Bight. Very cool and intricately done. That's the face of Raven, their main 'diety' on the front.
On Monday, I went out to Mendanhall Glacier in Juneau. It was amazing. Despite the rain, I could have spent all day there, no lie. I did not get to walk on the glacier but the views were outstanding.
On Tuesday, I took a ride on the old White Pass & Yukon Route train up 3000 feet into Canada from Skagway. The views were mind-blowing. Some of my pictures turned out a little eh from taking inside the train but still very impressive. More on this later, definitely.
One of the many gorgeous views from the train. You could get out and stand on the platforms which I did quite a bit going up since I was on the 'bad' side going up but the good side going down. We got a few views that our guide said only sometimes happen because the fog cleared.
The train had some really steep turns. The cars are all the originals from the beginning of the railroad.
American/Canadian border. We were not allowed to get off past this point because we were on Canadian soil.
View from close to the top straight back to Skagway harbor. In a big version of this pic (which I think you can get if you click directly on the picture), I believe you can see one of the cruiseships, quite possibly mine.
My car! I think each one was named after a local physical landmark.
More narrative later, as I said, where I will explain all this. Also, hopefully pictures of the library/my room/the infamous dress coming fairly soon too. Next week I'm stuck on the ship in Vancouver, but I will try and muddle through to post pictures anyway! They're my favorite part of the week - showing off all the awesome views. Gonna also try and see more wildlife this week, we'll see if I can find tours for that.











Wow, that glacier is beautiful! Your pictures from the train ride are absolutely awesome.
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous of your adventures! Everything is so beautiful!
ReplyDeletethis is so cool, I am so jealous of your job!
ReplyDelete