Saturday, September 24, 2011

Last Batch of Alaska Pictures!

Hike in Ketchikan!

One of the inlets of the ocean up near the entrance to the hike.  Gorgeous views!

One of our guides - Vince (didn't get one of Walter unfortunately) in the 'old' forest - it's not that old but it's some of the oldest around there due to the logging.  Walter said they'd had a couple teenage girls a few weeks earlier and they'd gushed about how it looked like Twilight.  The two couples (both in their 60s probably) and I all winced.


The White River.  We followed it for quite a while and this is where we saw all the eagles.  No pictures unfortunately because they were so beautiful but all flying so there wasn't time to snap one.  Still so beautiful.  Blown away by the scenery.

These ferns were really unique -they require an ocean breeze to grow but we were a couple miles from the ocean at this point!

An old eagle's nest.  The tree is not structurally sound enough any more but they used it for quite a few years apparently.  Bald Eagles use the same nests year after year and add to them.  Some of them have weighed up to a ton or more.

Here's Vince again demonstrating the wonders of Muskeg - it's basically the same as a Peat Bog as I understand it - it acts as a natural filter for the water making it some of the cleanest in the world if you don't mind the little particles of Muskeg in it :P

Juneau - Mount Roberts Tramway

This reminded me a lot of the Pittsburgh Incline only taller and it traveled up the same way as a gondola instead of on a track.

The tram before me leaving to head up the mountain.


The views from the top were amazing but they were a little hard to photograph due to the fog/clouds.  This is looking straight down at the dock we were usually at in Juneau.  We got a good one last week, though.

This was a sign at the top of the tramway and it made me giggle so I took a picture.

Glacier Bay!  Random glacier pic:





In Ketchikan on Thursday, I went to the Lumberjack show (more detail on it all in tomorrow's update) but here are the pictures in advance (while I have fast internet!)

The overhead chop.  This was 'my' team of Dawson Creek camp or the Canadians.  We lost this particular event by about two chops.  That's Jaime.


The guy on the left was the host: Tennessee Lee and behind him was the other Dawson Creek camp competitor, Ray.  This was a team event that we won.  Jaime is just out of picture to the left.

I don't remember his name (Michael maybe?) from the American team.  But I loved how comfortable he looks here.  He's also wearing ExtraTufs like I did on my hike in Ketchikan the week before.

Jaime sulking after they made fun of his bunny rabbit carving and after her 'decapitated' it creating this chair.  They then gave the chair to the one little boy in the audience - not sure how his family planned on getting it home!

The climbing event - one of the American's.  Don't be fooled by the tutu, he was VERY fast and very daring!  Totally kicked Ray's butt in speed.


Log rolling!  The American was amazing - Ray always looked off-balance and did end up losing twice in a row.

The only picture of me in Alaska (due to the fact I did 99% of things by myself).  I'll try and be better about asking random people to get pictures of me in the Caribbean and Charla will be on the ship starting today so maybe she can get some for me too :)  Either way, Yo Ho! as the lumberjacks say.  Alaskan wrap-up narrative tomorrow, along with where we're headed from here (I'm in Vancouver today, taking advantage of my last day of speedy internet)

No comments:

Post a Comment